Mom – she’s a nurturer and protector, a guardian angel of sorts. She deserves to be celebrated for her courage and warmth, and that special touch she brings. Nederburg can help you do so this Mother’s Day (11 May 2020)!
Look no further for the perfect gesture to make your mom feel like the heroine she is. Treat her with a specially-prepared classic South African dish – bobotie – accompanied by a fine wine such as Nederburg’s very delicate The Beautiful Lady Gewürztraminer 2019. A favourite pairing of assistant winemaker Zinaschke Steyn, she says she’ll be spoiling her mom, Michele, exactly this way as soon as she can following South Africa’s national lockdown. She’s also encouraging those who are not able to be with their moms on Mother’s Day, to do the same.
“I’ll be pouring my heart and soul into making my mother some traditional bobotie, and can’t wait for her to taste the love! It just shouts heritage with its flavours really reminding me of home. Also, it’s such a hearty and comforting dish – kind of symbolic, reflecting the qualities of my mom and how reassured, encouraged and content she always makes me feel. Also, the meticulous steps involved in preparing this dish makes me think of one of the key things she taught me over the years: that there is always a reward for hard work.
“A chilled glass of The Beautiful Lady will go down a treat with this richly aromatic and slightly sweet and spicy Cape-Malay-inspired dish, since both are so fragrant, featuring a sweetness that’s more suggested than overt. The cherry on the cake is that this is my mom’s favourite wine,” Zinaschke explains.
The Beautiful Lady takes its name from a description of Ilse Graue, the wife of Johann Graue, a German immigrant who bought Nederburg in 1937 and was known for his innovative approach to wine-growing and winemaking. She brought a gracious sense of hospitality to Nederburg. A doting mother to the Graue’s only child, Arnold, she was also a very loyal wife, who helped Johann label his wines in the early years. She would go with him to try to sell the then unknown brand to hotels in Cape Town. With the tragic death of their son Arnold in 1953, the legendary Günter Brözel came to Nederburg, also from Germany, to replace him as winemaker. It was he who described Ilse as “a great and beautiful lady”.
This elegant Gewürztraminer, with its subtle sweetness, is great to enjoy as an aperitif and is the ideal accompaniment to aromatic and spicy dishes such as fruity curries and fragrant Thai and Indian dishes made with butter or coconut milk, Cantonese and Schezhuan seafood and poultry dishes. Or, as suggested by Zinaschke, enjoy it with a South African favourite such as bobotie!
RECIPE: CLASSIC SOUTH AFRICAN BOBOTIE
Paired with Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Beautiful Lady Gewürztraminer
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 piece of white bread
- 250 ml milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp medium strength curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 500 g mince
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp apricot chutney
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 60 ml raisins (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 3 bay leaves
- Rice and chutney to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C and take a sip of Nederburg’s The Beautiful Lady.
- Soak the bread in the milk.
- Fry the onions in a little bit of oil until translucent
- Add the carrots, green pepper, garlic and ginger, salt, sugar and all of the spices and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the mince and fry until browned. Take another sip of The Beautiful Lady.
- Squeeze the excess milk from the bread (keep the left-over milk aside for later).
- Break the bread apart and add to the mince along with the tomato paste, chutney, vinegar and raisins.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and transfer to a small oven-proof dish.
- Stir together the remaining milk and eggs and pour over the mince. Empty your glass and pour another one.
- Top with bay leaves and bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes, until the topping is set and just browned.
- Serve with rice and chutney, and of course, The Beautiful Lady!
Nederburg is currently offering a 20% discount on wines across its multi-tiered range, including the Heritage Heroes collection of which The Beautiful Lady forms part of, when you order six bottles or more online. A delivery fee of R95 is applicable to all orders. Deliveries will only be dispatched once Nederburg is legally allowed to do so. The team will keep customers updated on their orders and expected delivery date. This promotion ends on 15 May 2020. Terms and conditions apply.