Christmas has always been one of my favourite times of year (the other being my birthday). I love seeing my really extended family (my father has 5 siblings and they have 14 kids; my mother has 4 brothers and they have 10 kids; I have 1 sister – almost all the cousins have kids…just 4 + me without) and spending Christmas day with my only living grandparent 300km to the north of Joburg. We have a regular Christmas lunch with all the trimmings, including 5 different meats, salads, lots of starches and a lekker vet pudding or two.
This year however, my Irish husband and I will be spending our Christmas with our 3 cats in Ballito (and an afternoon visit from his parents) as we are taking my parents to Mozambique in January – and my gran is visiting with one of my aunts.
Thanks Megan Kelly Botha for adding me onto your tag – now I miss Christmas at home in the old Transvaal. Read @BeautyBlog’s post on this tag here: https://beautyblogza.blogspot.com/2013/12/tag-twelve-days-of-christmas-bloggers.html.
- What is your earliest Christmas memory?
Christmas with my dad’s side of the family on a farm – and picking watermelons the day before Christmas.
- What one toy/ gift can you remember through out all your Christmases?
A blue sewing machine from somewhere before primary school. It also is the worst toy ever… its needle went through my index finger in grade 1.
- What do you/ your family usually do to celebrate Christmas?
The whole family gets together – including the Ouma, aunts, uncles, cousins and their spawn.
- How many days before Christmas does your decorating start?
I don’t decorate for Christmas as we migrate between houses in different provinces.
- What is on your favorite Christmas menu?
Ovenbaked potatoes with thyme and sea salt
Chicken with thyme (I don’t eat red meats or pork)
Tomato & avo salad (please do not add fruit!)
- What traditions will you continue on with your family (or future family)?
Family on Christmas day and watermelons.
- Can you name Santa’s reindeer’s names? (without googling??)
Do I look like Google? I know Rudolph, Blixen, Donner.
- It’s 5am on Christmas morning where can you be found?
- Did you ever sneak a peak at your Christmas pressies when you were younger or now?
When I was younger I searched for my presents, peak inside and closed it nicely. I don’t like to be surprised.
- What would you love to get this year for Christmas?
Good health for my 13 year old cat. That would be the most amazing present. I will settle for a card if there are no miracles available.
- What does Christmas mean to you?
A time to make others happy and spend time with family. I’m not religious, but I observe the religious aspect of it too.